Today I came over to my mom’s house to spend the night because Hubby went on a Mini Vacy with his family to Las Vegas. Unfortunately I work on Monday and its state testing week at work. Here in Arizona they call it AIMS. Any who I wanted to do my first tutorial today and its a recipe with LOTS of pictures. Its called Ensalada de Chicarron which is Chicarron Salad in English it is a Mexican Recipe so if you want some real AUTHENTIC Mexican food here it is my family is originally from Mexico City we moved here in 1993 so most of the recipes I’ll share will be Mexican.
Chicarron (Fried Pork Rinds) about half a pound you can get these at a Hispanic grocery store in Arizona we have Food City, Ranch Market, and the local Carnicerias I have not seen these at Fry's, Wal-Mart or any regular chain grocery stores.
Nopales (Prickly Pear) They do sell these in local Grocery stores sometimes they are peeled but most of the time they are not so it is very important that you need to peel these before you cook and eat
Half an Onion
4 Garlic cloves
3 whole Tomatoes
1 bunch of Cilantro
3 to 4 Serrano Chiles depending on how spicy they are or how you would like your dish to be spicy wise
1. Crush the Chicarron (Fried Pork Rinds)
2. Peel the Nopales (Prickly Pear)
Remember its really important to peel the whole prickly pear it needs to look like this below
3. Dice and rinse the nopales
4. Boil the nopales with a quarter onion, 4 garlic cloves, and 1 table spoon of salt for about 30 min after boiling is done rinse the nopales through cold water.
5. Dice the tomatoes, the left over onion, 2 avocados, 2 – 3 Serrano Chiles, and the cilantro
6. Add the rinsed off nopales and mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil, a dash of salt, squeeze the whole lemon and chicarron and mix.
Ready enjoy by itself or with tortillas as tacos!!!!
Thank you for joining me with my first tutorial with the help of my mom of course! Thanks mom!!!!
See you soon!!!